McCormick Ranch was the last large cattle ranch within the City of Scottsdale. In 1970 the family sold 4,236 acres (1714 hectares) for a master planned community to Kaiser-Aetna. With the concurrence of the City of Scottsdale, the City Planner was hired by the developers to plan this lovely community.
The McCormick family also donated 100 acres of land to the City, which became McCormick Stillman Railroad Park, with old train cars on display and small trains that ride around the park.
We have photos of the stark landscape of the Atacama Desert of northern Chile this week on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site.