Sunday, February 12, 2012

Photo: gears of Sunflower mine separator

Here is another industrial black and which photo of the mine separator, which I showed in black and white a few days ago. The size of the gears on the engine that turns the giant pipe shows how much force it must have taken to pulverize the ore so that it could be heated and the mercury vapor removed.

Factories fascinate me. A little over 20 years ago I was chosen by Rotary International for an exchange program and was sent to the industrial midlands of England to speak to Rotary groups to promote professional opportunities for women and to spread goodwill from Arizona and the USA. My gracious British hosts opened their homes for me to stay in and gave me tours of mines and factories. To my surprise, some of the people I met in the old industrial towns had never met an American before.

Today is Sunday, so we have new photos posted on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site. This week we are showing photos of Chicago during different lighting conditions, such as the late afternoon glow, sunset, night and sunrise.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I remember when you went on that trip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...