Friday, June 4, 2010

Ladybug in Cholla Cactus

Who got stuck in my cholla cactus?

A ladybug that's who.

At first I thought it was so cool to find this brightly colored ladybug in the cactus. I started photographing it from far away, and then I moved closer and closer and the ladybug did not fly away.

I finally realized it had gotten stuck. Dave of Costa Rica Daily Photo was present for the rescue. He took a toothpick and ever so gently kept working the ladybug out of the cactus until it flew away. It was very tired from struggling to get free and the problem was it could not open its wings to fly as all of the cactus spines were preventing flight.

Check out our travel photos of the magnificent pyramids of Chichen Itza at Viva la Voyage!

9 comments:

brattcat said...

Don't you wonder sometimes how a small act like the rescue of the lady bug impacts the future?

Sharon said...

I agree with brattcat... I wonder how the bugs survival changed things.

Bergson said...

magnificent macro

Halcyon said...

Poor dear! I'm glad you got her un-stuck.

Thérèse said...

Ladybird, ladybird fly away home,
Your house is on fire and your children are gone,
All except one,
And her name is Ann,
And she hid under the baking pan.
;-)

Pedro D. H. said...

poor little lady...

Lois said...

I'm so glad you noticed that ladybug. What a great story to go along with the picture!

Jørgen Carlsen said...

Well, the cactus don't eat insects!

Kate said...

David, our hero! Wonderful photo and great story!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...