Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bobcats in Backyard Pool

Today you can see bobcats in a backyard pool, a very rare sight.

This photo was taken by Bob Meyer in North Scottsdale in his backyard pool. He had very little time to take it so this was the best shot he could get, but what a cute shot indeed.

The Bobcat is believed to have evolved from the Euroasian lynx, which crossed into North America by way of the Bering land bridge.

Bobcats are good hunters and sought after for their fur. The bobcat is crepuscular (generally most active at twilight and dawn). Each night bobcats tend to move between 2 and 7 miles along their habitual route.

In Native American mythology, the bobcat is tied with the coyote in a theme of duality and there are varying interpretations. Apparently the Mohave believed that dreaming habitually about beings or objects would provide characteristics as supernatural powers. Dreaming of two deities, cougar and lynx, they thought would grant them the superior hunting skills of other tribes.

And today is Sunday so that means new travel photos on Viva la Voyage. Today's photos show the action in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

12 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

I like these fellows!
purrs and love
Luna

brattcat said...

Do you suppose this is a mother and two kittens?

Sharon said...

This is something you don't get to see often. What an opportunity. I'm glad he was able to capture it.

Lois said...

That is a cute shot! We have bobcats around here too and if you aren't careful driving at night, you might hit one.

glenda said...

These are just too cute! Must be mom and family out for a stroll.

Lowell said...

Super shot! But aren't they somewhat dangerous? Especially to small pets?

Mirela said...

How dangerous are they? I'm not sure I'd appreciate them in my pool! But the little ones are cute... :)

Kathleen said...

How fun! I have never seen them do this!

Don and Krise said...

Years ago I actually had a bobcat in my back yard here in southwestern Washington. It surprised the heck out of me, and when my dog saw it through the sliding glass door he about went nuts. They're actually smaller than I had imagined. I don't know if they'd be welcome in my pool though.

Hilda said...

Wow, what a thing to find in your backyard! Fantastic.

magicpolaroid said...

wow i cant believe it! great post!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen more then one bobcat at a time. This is a rare moment indeed

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...