Friday, April 17, 2009

Seating and Organic Architecture

This photo gives you a feel for Frank Lloyd Wright's style and vision of integrating his furniture into a room he built at Taliesin West.  

He built the seating right into the desert masonry wall of the Garden Room. He liked using vibrant colors.

To keep with his tent-like structure he had initially envisioned for the 600 acre desert camp, he used white canvas stretched over redwood frames, which provides for natural lighting and shade.  It has a very nice effect, but is difficult to maintain in the summer with the hot desert sun. 

Taliesin West has been named one of the "Twenty-five Most Visited Historic House Museums in the United States" on the annual list published in the Almanac of Architecture & Design magazine. For more information or public tours, click Taliesin West. 
 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank Lloyd Wright was a masterful building engineer which to me is beyond architecture -- a profession. I like his work and your photograph.

brattcat said...

Aesthetically very pleasing but how comfortable would it be for after dinner conversation.

VP said...

I agree with Abe. This place shows us much more than abstract architecture.
Wonderful post and photo, just waiting for the next installment.

Olivier said...

la preuve de son génie d'architecte et surtout d'artiste. en effet en plein été, cela doit être insupportable ;o)

proof of his genius as an architect and especially as an artist. indeed in the middle of summer, it must be unbearable ;o)

Sharon said...

I love the naturalness of his design and how he always blends in with the surroundings.

Lowell said...

I like the way he integrates things, and I like the colors, but these seats don't look particularly colorful.

But hey, what do I know. He was a genius, for sure.

istanbuldailyphoto said...

City is great to travel blogs. These blogs, I learned a lot. Great photos. I respect your effort. Best regards.

Jim Klenke said...

You wouldnt have to hear mom say quit wrestling on the furniture thats for sure.

B SQUARED said...

I love so many of his ideas but this just looks uncomfortable.

Neva said...

Frank Lloyd Wright has quite qa few homes here in chicago. Pretty stark for comfort in my mind but I do like clean lines....probably because my house isn't so clean lined!!!!

Unknown said...

Yes, this looks really cool!
Glad you are having a great time in Marocco, I knew you would like it there. Enjoy!

glenda said...

Beautiful bright blue color. I wonder if it is comfortable seating?

robert said...

After being awake for more than 18 hours (taking care of my small son, cooking, cleaning up, changing diapers etc) you may only imagen how inviting your picture is - getting lost into the blue will take me through the night.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...